Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer Daze

It seems my a** is not the only thing growing around here. Rather than share grossly obscene photos of my ever widening southerly parts, I thought I'd share some of the things we've managed to produce in our own little postcard sized urban jungle...











This blackberry bush must have heard me tell my husband we needed to get rid of it because after three years it still failed to produce even one piece of fruit. Then this summer, hello, blackberries! I suspect it may have told my husband, if a blackberry bush could talk that is, "Hey dude, it has been three years and your wife has yet to produce....better get rid of her."


Took three years to get grapes too, but we knew that when we planted them. Although only one of the two vines actually succeeded this year. High hopes for next year that we'll have enough to make a whole bottle of wine! Hell, I'll settle for a glass:)



My daughters' kindergarten class project. She grew the seed in a Styrofoam cup, left it near the kitchen sink and I would remember to water it when I saw that the tiny leaves had wilted. We replanted it out in our planter and it has soldiered on throughout the summer. About three weeks ago we saw that, lo and behold, a pumpkin had grown! We have high hopes that come October this bad boy will make an appearance on our front porch, transformed from pumpkin to Jack O Lantern, and that we'll have some yummy seeds to roast!

I don't like to put much stock in 'signs', especially given the fact that I planted the butterfly bush in our yard long before we knew anything about dead babies or that we would one day become the parents of a beautiful one ourselves. Still, I am stopped in my tracks when I get a visitor such a this, who hangs around long enough for me to take lots and lots of photos. Even if it isn't Caleb coming to visit me, it is me, stopping to visit him.

7 comments:

CLC said...

So impressed with what you have grown. All I have is tomatoes that some rodent keeps eating. Everything else was a big old failure.

Julia said...

Incredibly impressed here too.
And that last line is breathtaking.

Aunt Becky said...

What a beautiful last line. You have quite a way with words.

janis said...

Boy, I'm envious. My garden is a graveyard right now, a very pitiful sight indeed.
Like others, I love the last line.

Sue said...

A beautiful garden, K. And I love the last line of your post:

Even if it isn't Caleb coming to visit me, it is me, stopping to visit him.

That's all that matters, really.

Kathy said...

I guess I am not the only one that was touched by your last line. You do have such a way with words. I love the idea that we can choose to visit our babies who have gone before us, even if they may or may not be visiting us at that moment.

c. said...

Even if it isn't Caleb coming to visit me, it is me, stopping to visit him.

I like that, K. I really do. XO.