Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Through the years we all will be together if the fates allow...

That line always gets to me. Ever since I stood at the side of the grave for one of my best friends from high school as he was buried at the ripe old age of 21 on a cold December morning. Maybe I never paid attention to the lyrics before because I know I had heard the song, maybe it was the version I heard that made it clear, I don't know. But it was then that I realized the fates don't always allow us to be together and it's not a pretty thing. Especially when the one missing is young and beautiful and woefully short of the days necessary to complete a full lifetime.

We all know, too well, how cruel fate can be, how little control we have over anything really. We just have to muddle through somehow. It's what the song says. At least one version of it does anyway.

I'm thinking of all of you and your babies, those that are here, those that are gone and those that will make their first appearance in the near or even far future. And I am thinking especially of Emilie and her family who will never share another Christmas together, at least not here on this earth. I hope that the coming year brings healing to the hearts and hope to the lives of each and everyone of you.

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

6 comments:

Tash said...

Peace to you and yours, K.

CLC said...

Merry Christmas Kalakly!

c. said...

I tried. I tried. But I'll be damned if my shitty little life didn't spoil it all for me.

Okay, okay. It wasn't as bad as last year. This year was definitely a close second though. Hope your Christmas was infinitely better than last, hon. XO.

loribeth said...

That song (especially as sung by Judy Garland) always gets me too. Delurking to wish you & yours a merry little Christmas too. : )

Julia said...

I always found that song so haunting. But glad it's there for those of us whose season isn't so Merry.
We don't celebrate Christmas, and our Hanukkah is fairly low key, a family affair and an excuse to eat way too much fried foods (mostly latkes, we don't tend to go crazy on anything else), and to feed close friends the same. It's been nice and quiet here this year, just the way I like it. I realized Christmas eve, as we were up to nothing at all remarkable that I am very lucky to have it that way... Now our upcoming New Year celebration (which now always and forever marks X years less one month)? That can be a whole other thing. We'll see...

Peace to you and yours.

Ange said...

Really hope you had a wonderful Christmas...take care